LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.10 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 10 16:34:25 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.AUG.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>
Subject: Etymology

Ron wrote:

> That depends on if your first name is a derivation from Germanic-derived
> Garret (< Gerard = Gerhard "good with spears") or _Garrick_ (< ger+ric
> "spear+rich") or from Welsh-derived Gareth (of uncertain meaning).

What about Gerrit (one of my birth names)? I have always thought it
means something like "spear bearer", and that Garret and Gerrit were
more or less the same name.

regards,
Henry

----------

From: Grietje MENGER <grietje at menger.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.09 (02) [E]

I've only one small addition to the dissemination of "plate", "teller",
"talriken" etc. through our languages, and that is Frysk (Western Frisian)
where "panne" is used. I think this would be related to "panna" from Italian
/ Roman era. Before the advent of the wooden or earthware plates, meats were
served on a big slab of bread, which got consumed with the meat (in the time
before the invention of the fork as well). I may even go so far as to think
that the Italian pizza has resulted from this habit as well.

Grietje Menger
Scotland

PS, I'm a newby on this list, please excuse me if what I put forward has
already discussed.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Hi, Grietje!

Welcome to the List!  It's great that you decided to join us and come
forward and participate pretty much right away.  And how Lowlandic can you
be with a name like Grietje and living in Scotland?  "Poster child" material
for the List perhaps?  ;-)

I'm glad you raised the subject of the _panna_.  (I can see another
"Delectables" thread coming out of that.)