LL-L "Resources" 2004.08.11 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 11 15:26:39 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.AUG.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Bill Wigham <redbilly2 at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.10 (02) [E]

Henry & Al:
    Thanks to all who answered my message.  I am printing out all the
information sent and
believe sincerely that this LL-L List must contain some heavy hitters.  I
plan to print out all this information and bind it.  Is that allowed in this
organization or does it require permission from the writer?

    Please let me know if the dialects of Yorkshire are considered Lowland
language.  It was part of the Danelaw
and its shore is washed by the North Sea.  Great Grandpa was a
"Yorkshirebite" as granny used to say, as a gentle warning not to do
business with Yorkshiremen.  She had his sugar bowl bearing the inscription,
"If thee does aught for naught, do it for th'sel' ".

     I am enjoying this exchange very much and hope to have something
substantial to add as time goes on, in the mean time I shall be an eager
sponge for information.

Cheers,
Bill Wigham

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Resources

Dear Bill,

>     Thanks to all who answered my message.  I am printing out all the
information sent and
> believe sincerely that this LL-L List must contain some heavy hitters.  I
plan to print out
> all this information and bind it.  Is that allowed in this organization or
does it require permission
> from the writer?

You are free to do so.  Also, you may quote as you choose as long as you
credit both Lowlands-L and the individual author(s) everytime you pass
anything on.  For the sake of courtesy, I further advise crediting LINGUIST
(http://linguistlist.org/), a much larger list (and a truly awesome
resource) that was kind enough to use part of their funding to provide us
with electronic services and archiving in exchange for us making our
information available to linguists and in fact anyone all over the world
(which is what the archive is for).

You can search our archive
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html) whenever you
need to or feel like it.  Click on "Search the archives," enter any key
words, and make sure the box labeled "Substring search" is checked
everytime.

Lowlands-L is, technically speaking, a periodical publication, much like a
journal or a newsletter.  It is official in that it has its own serial
publication number (ISSN 189-5582) and Library of Congress Number (LCSN
96-4226).  (You might want to list these numbers if you include Lowlands-L
in any bibliography.)  The only difference from conventional publications is
that it is electronic, though it can and is stored in hardcopy form.  I know
that people collect electronic and hardcopy excerpts of certain threads or
_in toto_.  This is also done by a number of libraries, such as the library
of the Frisian Academy in Ljouwert/Leeuwarden, Netherlands.

Perhaps the librarians among us, including one or two of the Library of
Congress, can enlighten us further on this if necessary.  (They can do so by
writing to me personally at sassisch at yahoo.com if they do not want to do so
in public.)

>     Please let me know if the dialects of Yorkshire are considered Lowland
language.

They sure are, because they are dialects of English, and English is
considered a Lowlands language here.

Below is a general guide of which language varieties are included, "all
varieties anywhere and of all times" being assumed in each case:

   English
   Scots
   Frisian
   Lowlands Saxon (including Mennonite "Plautdietsch")
   Low Franconian
      Low Franconian of Germany
      Limburgish
      Dutch
      Stedsk (Stadfries)
      Brabantish
      Zeelandic
      Western Flemish
      Afrikaans
   Contact varieties
      Lowlands-based pidgins & creoles
   Lowlandic-based sign languages

   Peripheral relevance:
      Non-Lowlands varieties with Lowlandic substrates or strong influences
         (Missingsch, Northern German, Scandinavian, Lowlands-influenced
Celtic,
         Baltic Coast Slavonic, Baltic Coast Finnic, Sinti, Romany, Lowlands
         Jewish varieties, varieties of immigrants in Lowlandic-speaking
areas, etc.)

>      I am enjoying this exchange very much and hope to have something
substantial to add as
> time goes on, in the mean time I shall be an eager sponge for information.

And it is splendid to have you on the List and to have you share your
enthusiasm.

Best regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands