LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.11 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 11 17:59:20 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.AUG.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>
Subject: Language varieties [E]

Bill Wigham <redbilly2 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.10 (02) [E]
>
>  Great Grandpa was a "Yorkshirebite" as granny used to say, as a gentle
warning not to do
> business with Yorkshiremen.  She had his sugar bowl bearing the
inscription,
> "If thee does aught for naught, do it for th'sel' ".

I have a tea mug, a gift from my former mother in law, with almost the
same text on it. On my mug it says "And if thee ever does aught for
naught, allus do it for thisen". The picture and the rest of the text is
about a Yorshireman teaching his son. However, I haven't been able yet
to figure out its meaning. Can you enlighten me there?

regards,
Henry

----------

From: Camillo Bastrup <camillo_bastrup at operamail.com>
Subject: KJV to Brer Rabbit

> Just read some wonderfully interesting posts, on my first day in the
group, was wondering if there has been any connections made between Dorset &
'Gullah'? The mention of the readability comparisons with the King James
Version, and it's Authorised Revision (1856?)to Shakespeare, etc. It was
William Barnes, the Vicar of Dorset, who was called in to do the work on the
'Thee & Thou'(s) aspect of the Bible as a grammarian. Now what we would like
to find out is if there is a way to prove that his work "Dorset" can show us
that the American dialects (perhaps 'Gullah'?)which were used in "Uncle
Remus" stories that later became the basis for the Disney "Song of the
South" (song: "Zippedy Doo Dah")
> are directly descended from King Alfred's Saxon? And/or was that 'Saxon'
perhaps Jutish? (Channel 4 UK) Is Gullah a dialectic pronounciation of
"Gaelic?" ("'Greek' to me!'")The thing I remember most about America not to
long ago was the German or Dutch accents many older 'Dutch-Uncles' had! What
happened to those speaker groups? There was a cartoon which mimicked these
people: "Katzenjammer Kids!" I thin what we've seen is the sea-coast towns
retain the 'twangs'
> as they were, while the inland groups reshape the sounds?
> So Brooklyn sounds different from Appalahian? But New York and Virginia
apparently had a similar sound at one time! Days of 'King Cotton.' Does that
mean that a 'Dutch' dialect was both the Southern & Seacoast? Then moved
into isolation with Scots-Irish English, rather than Dutch-German English?
Lots of questions! Thanks!

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject:  Language varieties

Welcome to the List, Camillo!

It's great to meet you and your overflowing bag of questions, and it's
gratifying to see a bunch of "newbies" taking the plunge in the speakers'
forum.

Regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.nethttp://www.lowlands-l.net

P.S.: Please read the rules and guidelines
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=rules), folks!