LL-L "How do you say ...?" 2004.08.12 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 12 18:55:56 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.AUG.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: How do you say?

Is there any significant volume of technical literature in Low Saxon? As a
technical translator I'd be interested in getting hold of some.

In answer to Kenneth's question, if you can't find authorised translations
compare the German and Dutch versions and if they are equivalent create your
LS version on the same model. Unfortunately the only German version I know
of "nattebolthermometer" is "Nassthermometer", but you can check on the
internet whether there are matching versions. A literal translation of the
former would be safer because it's more explicit - people would understand.
Du "windkracht" means both "wind power" and Force on the Beaufort scale so
there are different possibilities. It doesn't mean "wind speed", I think.
Van Dale gives "windenergy" [sic].

John Feather
johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk