LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.12 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 12 19:30:39 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.AUG.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.11 (07) [E]

> From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>
> Subject: Language varieties [E]
>
> Bill Wigham <redbilly2 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.10 (02) [E]
>>
>>  Great Grandpa was a "Yorkshirebite" as granny used to say, as a
>> gentle
> warning not to do
>> business with Yorkshiremen.  She had his sugar bowl bearing the
> inscription,
>> "If thee does aught for naught, do it for th'sel' ".
>>
> I have a tea mug, a gift from my former mother in law, with almost the
> same text on it. On my mug it says "And if thee ever does aught for
> naught, allus do it for thisen". The picture and the rest of the text
> is
> about a Yorshireman teaching his son. However, I haven't been able yet
> to figure out its meaning. Can you enlighten me there?
>
> regards,
> Henry
Hi,
The first thing that  comes in my Flemish mind is:
En ai gy ooit  iets doet vo' niets, doe't ton voô den dezen;
meanning: And if you ever do anything for free, then do it for him/her
(who gave this to you)
Groetjes
luc vanbrabant
oekene

----------

From: Glenn Simpson <westwylam at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: language varieties

John

On the Yorkshire/Lancs language usage, your right
'thee' was used 'further north' in places such as
Northumberland but is rapidly disappearing. You still
hear people say 'me en thee' (me and you) a fair bit.
'Thisel or thysel' I haven't heard up here in
contemporary times. We tend to say 'yahsel'. As you
say, Northumbrians use 'nowt and owt' rather than
naught or aught.

My experience of Yorkshire, where I go at lot, is that
unfortunately most of the dialect is virtually dead,
apart from in certain areas. Suspect the same in
Lancs.

Keep ahaad,
Glenn Simpson
Northumbrian Language Society