LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.12 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 13 01:04:27 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.AUG.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <godsquad at cox.net>
Subject: Languave varieties

Hello. I have heard something about the Levenshtein system of
intelligibility. How does it work? I would like to master it to compare
languages. I love intelligibility comparisons because they show the variety
of language.

----------

From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>

John Feather said:

"About 25 years ago, visiting Fleetwood, I first heard the usage "I
never go there, me", where "me" is obviously an intensifier. I suppose in
posh English we might say "I myself ...". I took it to be a local idiom but
nowadays it seems to be a fairly common feature of Universal Demotic
English (ie what people learn from watching TV soaps). Is it actually a
northern expression originally?"

John, this did used to be a very common usage in Lancashire, though I think
it is much less common these days. I wouldn't think that it was ever
confined to Lancashire, as I am sure I have heard it in many areas of
England, as well as in Scottish English (as opposed to Scots). Perhaps there
was a kind of Universal Demotic English even before the invention of the
television?

Críostóir mentioned:

"Most of Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire uses _sen_ not _sel_ for the
_self_ suffix. I don't see it as peculiar to Yorkshire, although there are
strong similarities (at least to my ear) between north Nottinghamshire and
south Yorkshire speech. "

I only recently visited Nottingham for the very first time, which is
probably why I didn't realize that the _sen_ suffix was used there too, but
it seems that the North Yorkshire dialect used _sel_ whilst the South
Yorkshire one used _sen_. Glenn Simpson says that he hasn't heard the word
_thisel_ in contemporary Northumbrian, but I seem to remember hearing it in
Newcastle, though admittedly from some old people. Could I have been
mistaken?

John Duckworth
Preston, UK