LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.13 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 13 16:56:53 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.AUG.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Steven Hanson <hanayatori at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Etymology

"BTW, in the UK "boob tube" is a sort of tight cropped garment worn by women
on the upper part of their bodies. In the US I think it is a normally a
derogatory term for TV, the medium. Is that right?

The song "Video killed the radio stars" was essentially incomprehensible in
the UK because to us "video" means "video recording", in various senses, eg
"I watched a video", "The film went straight to video". Is the term "video"
for television - the meaning used in the song - actually used at all widely
in the US or elsewhere?

John Feather
johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk"

I wouldn't really say that "boob tube" is derogatory, just very informal.
People who are very fond of watching TV might call it the "boob tube".  As a
side note, I believe the UK's "boob tube" is what we might call in my area
of California a "tube top".  I think I prefer the UK version better.  :-)

We use "video" in rather the same way.  We watch videos, and some of our
movies go straight to video, but "video" used for "television" is nothing
I've ever heard.