LL-L "Language varietie" 2004.08.13 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 13 23:53:10 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.AUG.2004 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Language Varieties

Greetings Lowlanders, one and all!

Bill Wigham said:

"  I can only guess what "Thisen" means.  Has it possibly got something to
do with "Thy son" instead of "thy self"."

_Thisen_ quite simply means 'thyself / yourself'.

John Duckworth
Preston, Lancashire

----------

From: Steven Hanson <hanayatori at sbcglobal.net>

"LOW(LANDS) SAXON (of "Lower Saxon")
denotes only the truly *Saxon*-based varieties of the European continent
(and their more recent transplants elsewhere), excluding all Low(lands)
Franconian varieties (see above) of the "Low German" branch, "Low(lands)"
being added to distinguish them from the "(Upper) Saxon" varieties of
today's German state of Saxony, which usurped the name and whose language
varieties are not Saxon-derived but are mostly Thuringian-derived

I hope I clarified it.

Best regards,
Reinhard/Ron"

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.  I suspected that "Lowlands"
was added to distinguish it from something, but I couldn't quite figure out
what that something was.

----------

From: Bill Wigham <redbilly2 at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.11 (10) [E]

Maybe someone can tell me where to send away for a First Grade grammar for
the Geordie dialect.  Dave Singleton sent me a line in that noble tongue
which stopped me cold.  In fact, I must go to Barnes & Noble and get what
ever is available on the Dutch language to please the ghosts of my Dutch
ancestors who settled in New Jersey.  This List is getting expensive!  Any
suggestions on good books?   Does the list have a copilation of suggested
titles that might help us new people prepare for the things we see in this
forum?  One makes an investment when going to school, why not here?

Cheers,
Bill Wigham

----------

From: Bill Wigham <redbilly2 at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.11 (07) [E]

Mr. Hahn.
Gullah is a language/dialect from Somalia.  The slavers used to prefer to
buy these folks from their chieftains
because they were docile and did not rock the boat.  This tribe had,
according to my Southern associates, hereditary blue spots on their gums and
tongue.  Because of this they were called "blue gum Gullahs", which got
changed, in time, to just plain "Bluggums".   Many of those entry level
agricultural folks took, as a last name, that of their masters...which was
often Keltic.  This is the only connection with Gaelic that I can see.
Gullahs were not necessarily paired with their own kind  by their masters,
so a recognizable Gullah-English, per se, does not seem probable.

Hope this helps,
Bill Wigham