LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.14 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Aug 14 16:40:16 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.AUG.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.12 (01) [E]

Dear Ron, John & All:

Subject: Etymology

I hope I'm not too late with this one

> Having written the above it occurs to me that "Break a leg!" is the
example
> I've been looking for. It is commonly said to be a theatrical term, based
on
> the idea that it is bad luck to wish good luck and therefore one wishes
bad
> luck in the hope that it won't transpire. It comes proximately from "Hals-
> und Beinbruch" - "May you break your neck and your leg!" - which is used
in
> German (Yiddish?) in the same way. But that actually comes from a Hebrew
> blessing which I can't reproduce which means "May you have happiness and
> good fortune!"

I believe the phrase you have in mind is "H'tslakha ubr'kha! To a non-Hebrew
speaker it sounds like an incantation of grim portent. Once, on Kibbutz I
was of a party of foreign volunteers given this salutation, & an American,
one who loved languages as I do, gave this a little thought & said, "They
should send in forensic phoneticians with equipment to locate the vowels."
Not, quite fair, I think, for Hebrew.

By the way, is it fair to call this 'folk etymology'? It strikes me more as
a game most polyglottal people play, to patch homophonic or near-homophonic
phrases from one language into another, for effect, which can be hilarious.
I'd give some examples now, between English & Afrikaans, except that the
only ones that come to mind are rather crudely 'schoolboy'.

Yrs,
Mark