LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.14 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Aug 15 04:54:28 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.AUG.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.14 (02) [E]

In message <007901c4821c$d3640860$15b78e8c at D5SYLB51>, Lowlands-L
<lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net> writes
>Slavers sometimes did bring Africans captured far in
>the anterior, but it is unlikely that the captives (or
>very many) would have been from so far from the slave
>ports of the western coast as Somalia.  I am not aware
>of any suggestion of this kind on the historical
>literature on the subject that I have read, which is a
>good deal.

Rather appropriately for a lowlands-l list, I think the answer to this
one might lie in the activities of the Dutch companies.  Angolan slaves
were used by the Portuguese (Angola was a Portuguese colony).  The link
between the Portuguese and Angolans in Brazil and the English in North
America is Curaçao.  The slave trade in Curaçao accounted for a
staggering proportion of the North American trade: at the beginning of
the 18th century, 8,000 of the 20,000 slaves imported across the
Atlantic yearly passed through Curaçao (Roos 1979, 6).  The trade was
carried on by people who had connections both with mainland North
America, other Caribbean islands, and notably, Dutch and Portuguese
Brazil - this last group notably included large numbers of Jewish people
(hey-can I get any more ethnicities and nationalities into one
paragraph???)

I have done a quick search through my notes, and found the following
which track the trade:

"While Palmares [Brazil] appears isolated, in fact it is part of
networks with Europeans, natives, and even Angola" (Orser 1996a, 46-53).

"The WIC came rather late to the trade, only getting a foothold on the
African coast with the taking of Elmina in 1637, but in response to the
deans of the Brazilian plantations and with a further base in Angola,
slaving rapidly became a major part of the company's activities" (Price
2000, 78).

'The Dutch needed Elmina in order to keep up the supply of slaves to
Brazil, which they had invaded in 1624; they now had forced the
Portuguese troops out of many of the settlements, and to all appearances
had an excellent chance of conquering the remainder if only they could
expand the Brazilian economy. That they failed was partly due to their
seizure of the Gold Coast rather than Angola, from which they could have
obtained slaves more suitable for work on plantations. However, as the
trade with Angola continued to be a Portuguese monopoly, and the Dutch
could not secular a like position for themselves in West Africa, other
nations soon established forts and lesser posts there.' (Lawrence 1963,
37).

'the first shipload of 228 slaves arrived from the Guinea coast in 1658,
and shortly afterwards the chance capture of a Portuguese slaver brought
174 Angolans, mainly children, to the Cape.. About half the slaves were
sent on to Batavia, a quarter distributed to the free burghers, and the
rest kept by the company and housed in the fort' (Worden et al 1998,
27).

If anyone needs full bibliographic references for any of the above,
please let me know.

Best wishes to all,

Pat

--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)