LL-L "Architecture" 2004.08.16 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 16 15:56:20 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.AUG.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Architecture" 2004.07.26 (07) [E]

In message <008101c4737a$c846bd20$c4b78e8c at dental.washington.edu>,
Lowlands-L <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net> writes
Mark Dreyer wrote some time ago (I was on holiday, I am just catching up
with emails
> I should have thought the wall
>anchor was too idiosyncratic a device with which to follow cultural
>diffusion & differentiation.
>Sorry, you got me interested. I should rather have followed other venacular
>architectural trends, like the use of brick (very telling - there is no
>stone in the Netherlands) & the use of gables, as opposed to overhanging
>eaves. An English bricklayer's reference to the 'Flemish bond' tells you
>pretty unequivocally where it came from, as well as approximately when
>(English these days are more likely to use 'Belgian' as an appellation
these
>days, than 'Fleminsh' for example.
As part of my research, I am looking at these other things which people
have said are diagnostically 'Dutch' or 'Flemish'.  I am finding that
these things get taken up by others, much more readily than the use of
short wall anchor construction (which often remains limited to its use
in tying on gables).

Wall anchors are rarely commented on as being 'Dutch': this combined
with their relatively small distribution / lack of transfer to other
culture-groups makes them very interesting for me - they remain closely
identified with a particular ethnicity, working at the borders of
consciousness.

>However,  this was not how
>they 'identified' themselves. The Fleming & the Afrikaner would at need
>'identify themselves' as 'Diets' & the German as 'Deutsch', but really, the
>more local appellations were more useful in their own communities, and
until
>for example Bismarck, more favoured; such as Saxon, Nederlander, Afrikaner,
>Lexebergesch, Fries, etc.

I would be interested in reading anything published on this, as I would
like to see how (if it does) such linguistic labels correlate with the
use of material culture.  By linguistic labels, I mean words used to
identify in-groups and out-groups, as opposed to words used to identify
languages - people called, or calling themselves 'Saxon', 'Afrikaner',
etc. might be speakers of Saxon, etc., but might not.  Similarly,
speaking Saxon might not make you self- or other-identifying as 'a
Saxon'.

Best wishes,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)