LL-L "How do you say ...?" 2004.08.17 (01) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 17 14:51:57 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.AUG.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Kevin Caldwell <kcaldwell31 at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "How do you say ...?" 2004.08.16 (09) [E]

> Also, this sentence gets misquoted about 95% of the time, both in English
> and German. JFK never claimed that HE felt like he was from Berlin; he
> just
> said something among the lines of: "some day you people will be able to
> say
> again, with pride: ich bin ein Berliner." Since he said the last bit in
> German, that's the only part most Germans understood.
>
> Gabriele Kahn

Here are the exact quotes:

(from early in the speech)

"Two thousand years ago, two thousand years ago, the proudest boast was
"civis Romanus sum." Today, in the world of freedom, the proudest boast is
"Ich bin ein Berliner."" [NOTE: he then thanked his translator]

(and at the end of the speech)

"All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Berlin. And,
therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words "Ich bin ein Berliner.""

Kevin Caldwell (kcaldwell31 at comcast.net)