LL-L "Phonology" 2004.08.17 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 17 15:15:33 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.AUG.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: How do you say .. ?

Gary mentioned the falling-together of the sounds in words like
paw/pore/poor/pour.

I think most Londoners would not distinguish tor/tore/tour but I don't think
they would use the same pronunciation for daw/door and dour, though they
probably wouldn't use it very often in any case.

I don't think "boor" is used very frequently, especially by speakers of
London Demotic, and I suspect those people who say "oo" do it either to
avoid confusion with "bore" (middle class) or because in their sociolect the
"oo" is still in use in similar words like "poor" (upper middle class).
Disclaimer: class differences cited for guidance only. I would probably say
"Baw War" because of the common vowel sound (and it sounds affected not to)
but I would use "oo" and possible even short "oo" plus a slight schwa in
"Boer" standing on its own to distinguish it from "bore".

I don't quite understand about "pure". I would say that Londoners pronounce
it "pjure". My grandmother from Norfolk pronounced it something like "purr".

I didn't want to discuss any particular utterance of "Ich bin ein Berliner"
because German lies outside the Lowlands field and enough has been written
about it already. It's all there on the internet - every opinion you could
possibly imagine and probably more.

John Feather
johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk