LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.19 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 19 23:58:22 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.AUG.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: John Baskind <jbaskind at mac.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.19 (01) [E]

On Aug 19, 2004, at 7:33 AM, Luc wrote:

> In Dutch a newspaper is called "een krant" . "Een tijdschrift" is what
> you call a periodical.
> Some Flemish words:
> betijds/ antijds/ antijden/ intijds = on time
> ondertijd(s)/ somtijds/ van tijd tot tijd = now and then
> overtijd(s) = a while agoo
> juist in tijds = just in time
> intussentijd = meanwhile
> ten allen tijde = alwaeys
> Hoe laat is't an den tijd? =Which hour of the day is it?
> men(ne)tijd/ meintijd = time for the harvest to be collected.
> getie = tide

A few Afrikaans equivalents of the Flemish(which I learned in
Linguistics 1 was Afrikaans' closest relative)  terms above. The
differences and contractions  are interesting, as are the phrases which
have, perhaps, disappeared from Afrikaans. Perhaps someone can
enlighten me/correct my assumptions? (Linguistics 1 was 34 years ago)

somtyds - occasionally
destyds - at that time, a while ago
intussentyd - meanwhile
altyd - always
Watter tyd is dit OR  hoe laat is dit -  What's the time

--We also say 'koerant' - newspaper and 'tydskrif' - periodical

-
John Baskind
jbaskind at mac.com

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Lowlands Saxon (Low German), North Saxon dialect, Germany (only expressions
using _tyd_):

> betijds/ antijds/ antijden/ intijds = on time
tydig (tiedig), recht-tydig (rechttiedig), by tyds (bitieds), by tyden
(bitieden), tou rechte tyd (to rechte Tiet)

> ondertijd(s)/ somtijds/ van tijd tot tijd = now and then
tou tyden (totieden), vun tyd to tyd (vun Tiet to Tiet)

> juist in tijds = just in time
jüst(emang) tou (rechten) tyd (jüste(mang) to rechten Tiet)

> intussentijd = meanwhile
in de twüschen-tyd (in de Twüschentiet)

> ten allen tijde = alwaeys
altyds (alltiets)

> men(ne)tijd/ meintijd = time for the harvest to be collected.
maytyd (Meihtiet)

which can be confused with _maytyd_ (Maitiet) 'May (season)', 'height of
spring', often rather _mayen-tyd_ (Maientiet).

Also:

aarn(t)tyd (Aarn(t)tiet) 'harvest time'

> getie = tide
tyd(e)

You can distinguish "tide" from "time" by saying _tyde_ and _tyd_
respectively.

tydschrivt (Tietschrift) 'magazine', 'journal', 'periodical'

German _Zeitung_ 'newspaper' has been borrowed into numerous dialects, but
_blad_ (Blatt) is perhaps more common.  _Tyding_ (Tieding) would be a
logical calque, but it is archaic for 'tiding', 'news'.

Anyway, there are tons of words and expressions using _tyd_, such as:

eten(s)-tyd (Eten(s)tiet) 'time for eating'
slapens-tyd (Slapenstiet) 'bedtime'
nacht-slapen(e) tyd (nachtslapen(e) Tiet) (lit. "night-sleeping time")
   'very late at night (when everyone is sleeping)'
'n tyd lang ('n Tietlang) 'a while'
tyd-verdryv (Tietverdrief) 'pasttime'
tyd-vergetern (tietvergetern) (lit. "(prone to) time-forgetting")
   (1) '(so) engrossed (that one loses track of the time)',
   (2) '(so) engaging (that one loses track of the time)'

Kumpelmenten.