LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.24 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 24 17:09:17 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.AUG.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.23 (08) [D/E]

> From: Troy Sagrillo <meshwesh at bigfoot.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.23 (04) [E]
> on 23.08.2004 6.59 PM, Peter Snepvangers <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> I am intrigued with the English word for lake and the various
>> spellings
> used
>> in languages. I wonder if the Limburgs / Dutch / Afrikaans / Frisian
>> etymology of the spelling as "meer" could be explained to me. It seem
>> strange to me because you can use the word to mean lake but you can
>> also
> use
>> it to mean more and more (meer en meer), or no longer (niet meer).
>> The German and Danish words seem to be similar
>> See (German)
>> So (Danish)
>> The English and Scots words seem to be similar
>> Lacus (Latin)
>> Loch (Scots)
>> Lake (English)
>
> Scots is a loanword from Gaelic "loch" (also occurring in Hibernian
> English
> as "lough"), though it is ultimately related to English "lake" but
> only on
> an Indo-European level.
>
> English also has "mere" meaning "(small) lake, pond, marsh"; cf. Old
> English
> "mere" "lake, pond, pool, cistern"; Irish Gaelic "muir" 'sea'; Lain
> "mare"
> 'sea'; etc.
>
> Dutch "meer" is cognate with English "more" (Old English "ma:ra",
> "ma:re")
>
> Cheers,
>
> Troy

Hello,
In my West-Flemish we use the same words:
meer, zee, poel, pit,  put, vijver (from French vivier),
moeras (E: morass/marsh)
Lake only exist in placenames like: Lakedal/ Laakdal/ Lakebossen/
For a "poel"(E: pool) we sometimes still use  the word "dronkaerd"
(This word explains that  the animals came to drink there. But it is a
homonyme for drunkard also!)

groetjes
luc vanbrabant
oekene

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Luc, Lowlanders,

In Lowlands Saxon (Low German), North Saxon dialects, a pool is a _poul_
(<Pool> ~ <Pohl> [po.Ul] ~ [pe.Ul], masc.~neut., pl. _poulen_
<Polen>~<Pohlen> ~ _pouls_ <Pools>~<Pohls>, cf. German _Pfuhl_).  This can
also refer to any water hole (such as an Australian billabong), any animals'
drinking hole, or even just a large, deep puddle.

A pond is a _dyk_ (<Diek> [di:k], masc., pl. _dyken_ <Dieken>; cf. German
_Teich_) homophonous with _dyk_ (<Diek>), the word for 'dyke' (cf. German
_Deich_).

A pond or a pool can also be a _brak_ (<Brack>, neut., pl. _braks_
<Bracks>).  Technically speaking, or originally at least, this denotes a
body of water that forms behind a dyke as a consequence of a break or of
leakage.  I wonder if it has anything to do with English "brack(en)."

I am under the impression that there's a fair degree of individual and
dialectal fluidity in the usage of these terms.