LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.29 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 30 00:43:36 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.AUG.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Camillo Bastrup <camillo_bastrup at operamail.com>
Subject: Brythonic (Cumberic) yin & ean

If memory serves, and one reason to allow great leeway in presumptive
etymologic discussions-sometimes the simplest answers are still 'up in the
sir', or we shou;d all just file them away as 'possibly'...or, "Naw!"; and
that recent post, YIN means '1'? That is true. But Ean means "AN" in
English, altho draw from the Latin-base UN(E). Now that is really TWO
answers, as they addition of the nasal is EUPHONIC and is for English 'A'.
(INDEFINITE ARTICLE)Letter 'n' is a 'marker' in English, and was a
PLURAL-maker in before-time.Now, to make this all the more confusing, and as
I said, if memory serves, the BORDER or SCOTS(Braidf)
English must have influences from Cumberic, PENTLAND or PICTISH 'Brythonic'
if it was a Celtic language, we find that even YIN or ONE is to be found in
LANCASHIRE(?) but YEAN (y+EAN) means "EWE?" Now by some cockamime construct
would this be a WELSH 'THE'(A, ie: "Y", decoding out as 'A-1''?
('Geordieism?' don't laugh! Lawrence Welk's license plate was
"A1ANDA2"!)Cumberic numerals were for SHEEP COUNTING or were they for
'counting sheep?' In one such list, however TWENTY is "WICKA"!(Which then
explains ALOT!)'AN' in Celtic generally 'means' "LAND". In Welsh; "YN"
('Island')Norse Islands are OY (English "EYE") and when you 'see' one you
A-(H)-OY! In English we get euphonic 'SCEOP-TALK'... "I saw (eye-sore)AN
IslANd. And making this post practically a punning, the book "Lion, Witch &
Wardrobe" has a lion named ASLAN. In normal English AN is pronounced as 'EN'
before vowels, as the A is oftenest 'uh' before all but liquids, glides, &
nasals, when it is then strenghtened to "AY"

----------

From: Fred van Brederode <f.vanbrederode at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.28 (04) [E]

Ron wrote about "dude". I am puzzled by The American Heritage(r)
Dictionary's
views. It's hard to imagine significant numbers of Easterners going to the
rural West on vacation in the 1870s. Besides, the OED can't trace it back
before 1883 in NY City and it was only later that it acquired it's "Western"
meaning. "Dude ranch" for a vacation destination isn't attested until 1921.
(..).
How about a jokey "doed up" for "done up"? But is this US? The DHS doesn't
even record this phrase in this meaning in the UK but perhaps not "slangy"
enough.

John Feather wrote the above words.
It is the "doed up" that interests me. Not the etymology, but the spelling.
Given the associated word dude, I assume the "oe" is pronounced like "ou".
This seems like an odd spelling for an English word. The use of the letters
"u" , "oo" or even "ou"  would have been more appropriate, or more of this
time.
For the same reason I always found the word canoe fascinating. It uses the
"Dutch" oe.
As far as I know only Dutch and Indonesian (from before the 19 sixties, when
Dutch influence was wiped out of the Indonesian spelling) use the oe for
that reason.

When it showes up in words like canoe and now in doed, it makes me wonder,
where does it come from? is/was it used more often? Why do away with it? or
why keep it in a word like canoe? Why not change it in canoo or something?

Now that I mention the "oe" and the far East, it brings back a memory that
longs for an explanation.
I remember having seen a picture of Shanghai early 20th century. It shows a
building (a restaurant?) with on the side the name of its owner. The name is
in Latin script and the first part of the name is "Soen".  I would not have
been surprised if the picture was taken in the Netherlands Indies at the
time, but the subscript definitely stated Shanghai.
If taken in Shanghai, I would have expected Chinese characters in the first
place or, if it had to be Latin script, an English transcription. In English
spelling it would very likely have been "Sun".
Maybe the author or the editor made a mistake and the picture was taken in
the Netherlands Indies after all. I do not have the picture and I could not
find it back on the internet either. The question arises: Was the "oe"
really used in more languages than Dutch and Indonesian?

Groeten,
Fred van Brederode