LL-L "Names" 2004.12.05 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Dec 5 09:02:54 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.DEC.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2004.12.02 (06) [E]

Sandy and Ron were discussing whether gypsies like or prefer being called
that, or Roma/Sinti...

Ron, I think some confusion may have arisen here through translation. While
I don't know much about the acceptability of the English term "gypsy", I
assume that you where thinking of the German name "Zigeuner", which is
pretty much equivalent. The big difference, however, is that, in WWII, those
classified as "Zigeuner" were carted off to concentration camps and, in many
cases, murdered, just the same as Jews, homosexuals and political
dissidents. I think this may have a lot to do with the fact that continental
European gypsies want to be known as "Sinti and Roma" now, although I once
knew a very charming seven-year-old boy who proudly referred to himself as a
"Zigeuner" (assuming that my daughter and I were of the same group because
we spoke Dutch to each other, which to him must have sounded similar - so he
used an "insider" term in his family's dialect).

Since there is no such major, disastrous trauma connected to the term
"gypsy", maybe it is more acceptable in Britain than "Zigeuner" is in German
these days, so a direct comparison isn't really possible.

Just a theory...

Gabriele Kahn