LL-L "Holidays" 2004.12.06 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Dec 6 19:36:32 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.DEC.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2004.12.05 (10) [E]

mother when I was a small child! She from Zeeuwsch-Vlaanderen, maybe
it a local way to explain to the kids why Sinterklaas is coming by one day
later in neighbouring Flanders, I don't know if the same is told in the rest
of the Netherlands. But I am polital correct enough not to tell this story
to my own sons.
And for the rest: His Holiness should do as he thinks best... And maybe
he'll keep the best for the last, eh? Don't worry!

Have a nice Sinterklaas, if you celebrate it today!
Ingmar

----------

From: mieke at club-internet.fr <mieke at club-internet.fr>

Hello,

I don't think the belgian children get the leftovers ;-)

I was always told that since Sinterklaas was already very old, he couldn't
dispatch all the gifts in one day and that is why in the Netherlands we
receive them on the 5th and in Belgium on the 6th!

Regards,

Mieke [van der Velden]

----------

From: Szelog, Mike <Mike.Szelog at CITIZENSBANK.com>
Subject: St. Nicholas Hymn

Here's an old lyric appropriate for the day - written by the English mystic
St. Goderic (c.1070-1170). Only three of his hymns survive. Supposedly, they
are the earliest existing songs written in what would later become the
modern English language.

St. Nicholas, Godes druth,
timbray us faire scone hus.
At thee burthe, at thee bare,