LL-L "Grammar" 2004.12.06 (08) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Dec 6 20:21:40 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.DEC.2004 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2004.12.06 (05) [A/E]

Ron wrote:
> Moeni onse liewe Mark pla nie, apenboontjie-muisie!  In elk geval glo ek
dat
> "that" in hierdie woordvoering korrek is.

The sentence was:
>     Ask a Bushman that is easy enough with your company to speak freely,

Seriously? Would you say "a Scotsman that...", "a Native American that...",
or "a Canadian that..."? I have my doubts, but, since you are from Hamburg,
sentences like "He wolfed down the hamburger that had fallen on the floor"
must sound quite natural to you. :-)

Gabriele Kahn
(the moose who roared)

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Grammar

OK, so let native speakers be the judges of this, Gabriele.  I'd be prepared
to concede, get up from the floor, dust myself off and be my juicy, yummy
self again.

Reinhard/Ron
(la perruche qui siffle)