LL-L "Delectables" 2004.12.09 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Dec 9 19:33:34 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.DEC.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2004.12.08 (10) [E]

Dear Ben & All,

Subject: LL-L "Delectables"

> Criostóir, I love marzipan too. I did not know that it came in blocks of
> that size. A Mexican friend introduced me to it. They had little squares
of
> it at 711 for a quarter a piece! I want to find one of those one-pound
> blocks!

Our Johannesburg might be Africa's financial hub, & a great International
City, but it falls somewhat short in matters of 'Kultcha'. Once in my
meanderings I came accross a supermarket with kilogram blocks of marzipan &
halva, in the cold counter with the cheese! I snaffled one of each from the
mildly baffled cashier, at a ridiculous price, & went  my way rejoicing.

> Did you know that Lübeck is
> very famous for marzipan?  (Some people claim marzipan was first created
> there, but apparently that's a red herring springing from delusions of
> grandeur.

Whatever, Ron, my grandmother told me it's Lübeck's fault we call it
marzipan! The English used to be 'marchpane' but the grandeur of Lübeck's
local product overwhelmed any other by name or kind.

Yrs,
Mark

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>

Ben Bloomgren wrote:
"Criostóir, I love marzipan too. I did not know that it came in blocks of
that size. A Mexican friend introduced me to it. They had little squares of
it at 711 for a quarter a piece! I want to find one of those one-pound
blocks!"

You were ripped off, my friend. A couple of years ago, after poor sales of
marzipan at Christmas, approximately 400g to 750g slabs of the stuff were
going for 40p (!) in the cooking section of our local Tesco (400g is usually
a few quid). I wanted the largest block, but my wife inexplicably talked me
out of it, so I ended up with the 400g version that lasted me at least, oh,
an hour.

Ron wrote:
"And here we clearly return to the Lowlands. Did you know that Lübeck is
very famous for marzipan? (Some people claim marzipan was first created
there, but apparently that's a red herring springing from delusions of
grandeur.)"

I wasn't aware we had strayed away from the Lowlands... surely Surinamese
cuisine counts as Lowlandic in at least one sense?

"Marzipan has a long tradition there, in that once Slavonic settlement
turned hub of the Hanseatic League and a city graced by the likes of Thomas
Mann (_Buddenbrooks_, _Death in Venice_, _The Magic Mountain_, etc.). The
marzipan products are really very good (and not too sweet)."

I wasn't aware that marzipan had a Slavic origin. And Ron, the whole point
of marzipan is that it _is_ sickeningly sweet! It should be such as to make
your eyes bulge, your blood ache, and your stomach lining blister. Ideally,
you should have to take a long lie down after the whole thing.

"Marzipan is sold in all shapes and sizes (even very large sizes), the most
famous ones
being pigs and loafs (of "bread"), the loafs primarily chocolate-covered --
also marzipan fruit and potatoes, usually dusted with chocolate or
food-dyes."

I am not sure the utter perfection that is marzipan should be tainted with
chocolate (although I have been known to sneak the odd Marzipan bar, covered
with dark chocolate, from Thornton's). In Britain and Ireland (and
Australia) it is usually consumed with a parallel layer of icing, doubling
the sugar challenge. It is occasionally found shaped into fruit, baubles,
etc., for novelty value, especially at Christmas time.

Thanks for the info!

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Criostóir.