LL-L "Delectables" 2004.12.10 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 10 22:23:43 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.DEC.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2004.12.10 (02) [A/E]

soft gingerbread, human figures are made of it at Sinterklaas.
I don't know its etymology, _taai_ means tough, and taai-taai is a bit tough
indeed.
But the reduplication may point to Malay (Indonesian) or from one of the
Creoles from the Dutch Westindies, like SrananTongo (Suriname)
or Papiamento (ABC-Islands = Aruba,Bonaire Curaçao = Leeward Dutch
Antilles), or even Afrikaans...

Pepernoten aren't wrapped in the Netherlands neither, but still they're
thrown around everywhere by Zwarte Piets.
Kids just pick 'em up from the floor or even from dirty streets, where the
Schimmel - Sinterklaas white horse - just came by...
Probably it's good for their physical resistance because few children get
sick during the Sinterklaas weeks!

*Ingmar

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2004.12.10 (05) [E]

Maybe you could tell us a little more about special traditonal Sinterklaas
food in Flanders
-if there is any? Ingmar