LL-L "Delectables" 2004.12.13 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Dec 13 17:58:16 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.DEC.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Peter Snepvangers <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>
Subject: Delectables

Ingmar Roerdinkholder wrote:
Taai-Taai means a kind of soft gingerbread, human figures are made of it at
Sinterklaas.
Pepernoten aren't wrapped in the Netherlands neither.

Hello Ingmar, Roger, Ron and Lowlanders,
Here in Sydney Australia we sons and daughters of Lowlanders also celebrate
Christmas with Taai-Taai (honig gingerbread), Speculaas cookies (my
favourite), Pepernoten (iced white, pink and yellow), Banket Staven filled
with marzipan or almond paste, Stollen, Buche Noel sponge logs and the
Limburgers also bake off in their homes mooi vlaai such as ries, appel or
appelekouw cruimeltje vlaai. The Aussie kids usually have fruit cake (dying
out now), sago plum pudding, fruit mince tarts, boiled raisin pudding and
chocolate coins wrapped in gold foil. There is a movement toward ice cream
style desserts like Russian Paschka cake and ice cream "Bombes" eg Bombe
Alaska. The Italian kids would try and swap you some Pannetone cake for your
vlaai but I never did swap, my sisters would though. We have some 5th
generation Aussie friends and everytime they visit now their kids want to
take home my stash of Speculaas cookies!!!
Ron in the 1970's the Trades college in Sydney taught the Apprentice
Pastrychefs how to make "Saxon Stollen". I will try and find the recipe
taught to them and send it to you.
Wishing you all a Happy, Holy and Safe Christmas whatever day you celebrate.
Tot Ziens
Peter Snepvangers
snepvangers at optushome.com.au

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Hi, Pete!

Thanks for the explanation.  Now I understand what _taai-taai_ is.  It's
what we call _honnig-kouken_ (<Honnigkoken>) in Lowlands Saxon and
_Honigkuchen_ in German, thus "honey cake."  Yes, it *is* tough, and very
sweet, way too sweet for my taste buds.  In my part of Northern Germany we
do associate this with "Dutch."

In German there's even an idiomatic derivative: _Honigkuchenpferd_,
literally "honey cake horse," always in connection with _lachen_ or
_grinsen_ 'to lough/smile/grin'.  _Du lachst ja wie ein Honigkuchenpferd!_
'Aren't you grinning like a Cheshire cat!"  (It usually refers to gloating,
satisfaction or triumph.)

> Ron in the 1970's the Trades college in Sydney taught the Apprentice
> Pastrychefs
> how to make "Saxon Stollen".

Ah, thanks.  Note, though, that that's the "fake Saxon," pertaining to the
largely Thuringian-speaking state of Saxony that usurped the name from the
real Saxony in the north.  We call this treat _Dresdner Stollen_, pertaining
to the "Saxon" city of Dresden (Upper Sorbian/Lusatian _Drježdźany_, the
treat being called _wosušk_ in that language).

When I lived in Australia I found it very hard to get exited about such
festive winter foods in early summer.  I don't know how you do it.

Happy holidays to you and yours, Peter!