LL-L "Language politics" 2004.12.14 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Dec 14 20:54:55 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.DEC.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Kenneth Rohde Christiansen <kenneth at gnu.org>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.12.14 (02) [E]

Reinhard wrote:

>In the Netherlands, I suppose everyone uses Netherlands Sign Language, even
>if they live in predominantly Low-Saxon-, Frisian-, Zeelandic- or
>Limburgish-speaking environments.  Is this correct?

This summer I talked to a def guy and he told me that there are a lot of
dialects in the sign language used in the Netherlands, - or that will
say, there use to, since they this year or last year they decided to
standardize the sign language and remove the dialect differences.
Something which he didn't like at all

Kenneth

----------

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.12.14 (06) [E/Irish]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Language politics
>
> Yes, but now, now ... Roger has been with us for a long time.  He may have
> different opinion in this particular context, but he is clearly supportive
> in other contexts.

Btw I have absolutely nothing against Irish being used at the EU.

I'm just concerned about consistency in spending.

I think it would be e.g. silly for Luxembourgians to ask for simultaneous
translations into Luxembourgish in the European parliament, as long as they
do not organize a similar real time translation in their own parliament (Law
texts are in French over there).

So I guess MP's in Dublin already have simultaneous translation into Irish
(and v.v.) in the Dublin parliament??? If so, I change my mind and admit it
is fair we all fund that they get the same service on European level.

In Belgium they do it French-Dutch and vv in the national parliament, but
they exclude the German minority (as well as all regional language
minorities; btw where to draw the line: simultaneous translation into
Ebonics in the US Congress? Not so silly, when you see Dutch films get
subtitles in Belgian Dutch on TV.)

What I mean to say, get an Indian language X7494 first fully integrated in
the Nevada legislative-court-school-voting system, before you claim
everething said in the United Nations assembly in NY be simultaneously
translated into indian language X7494.

After all, I'm basically supportive for all languages. I'm just sceptical
about symbolical and emotional decisisions. I'm in business, and I would
strongly support any measure that guarantees the share of native Irish
speakers to increase from 5 (?) to 10 % over one generation in Ireland. This
kind of results, I think, can only obtained by strong measures, as a locally
imposed school language system, an imposed administration in the language,
imposed language in court,  acceptance of the language in military command
etc.. (after all, somebody said a language is a dialect with an army behind,
or something similar)

Regards,
Roger