LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.12.15 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Dec 15 16:34:13 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.DEC.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Yevgeny Ustinovich <yevgeny at cac.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.12.10 (08) [E/F/LS]

Thanks, Mark.
That explain a lot of things I am trying to figure out.
It's funny, but in the Soviet Union, it was actually forbidden to study
Afrikaans -- for ideological reasons. So now I am trying to catch up with
what three generations of Ukrainian/Russian lingiuists before me missed.
Thanks a lot!

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Vstrastvuj, Yevgenyj!

Actually, the person you quoted above was Marco Evenhuis, our honorary
Zeelandic representative, and Marco quoted Mark Dreyer.

Yevgeny and Mark, when it comes to topics related to Zeelandic and Western
Flemish as well as so-called "Dutch-based" language varieties outside
Europe, it's our Marco who is the expert, certainly not I, keenly interested
though I may be.  Marco has a thing or two to teach us about this stuff.

It seems to me that double negatives are quite old in the Low German group
and are especially pronounced features in Low Franconian.  If this is due to
French ("Frankish") influence remains to be proven.

These constructions were preserved in various non-standard varieties,
especially in Flemish (and Zeelandic?) dialects, such as the well-know
_...en ... nie(t) ..._ which was pretty much mandatory in numerous Middle
Low Franconian varieties.  Or is it that the more southern varieties
developed it due to French proximity?

It may well be that the _en_ part may not serve as a negative marker alone.
Nevertheless we are dealing with a two-part negative construction here (much
like French _ ... ne ... pas ..._).  Once you have such a structure in
place, it seems to me no stretch of the imagination that the _en_ part came
to be replaced by another _nie(t)_, and that finally, as a matter of
regularization, the final _nie(t)_ came to mark all types of negative
expressions, namely also those that use other negative words, such as
_nooit_ 'never' or _geen_~_keen_ 'no(ne)'.  And this is precisely how
Afrikaans syntax operates.

Approaching it from the Lowlands Saxon branch with a fair amount of prior
expose to Dutch, I did not perceive this sort of Afrikaans structure as
alien or novel when I first encountered it.  I did perceive it as
regularization of something inherent, being aware that it would sound
"childish" and/or "uneducated" to many people that know related languages,
much like double negatives, besides person morphology regularization, in
English (e.g., "He don't have no business coming round here"), and much like
in Lowlands Saxon where this does occur, though less frequently.  However,
it struck me as a very useful and natural inherent structural tendency that
is suppressed in standardization.  The final _... nie_ reminds the listener
that this is a negation phrase, which is particularly useful where a phrase
between the two negative markers is long.

In many Lowlands Saxon dialects of Germany, double negatives may be used,
such as _... ny ~ noit (...) nich ~ neyt ..._ ("... never (...) not ..."),
rarely with _nich_ ~ _neyt_ ("not") twice.  This tends to be done either for
emphasis (e.g., _Ny nich!_ 'Never (in my life)!') or where the phrase
following a negative marker is rather long and requires final reenforcement.

Yevgenyj, I suppose that this sort of structure does not seem all that
strange to you, given that it is commonplace and even mandatory in Eastern
Slavonic, actually Slavonic as a whole.