LL-L "Resources" 2004.12.15 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Dec 15 17:19:48 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.DEC.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Kenneth Rohde Christiansen <kenneth at gnu.org>
Subject: Eurominority

Hi, I was looking at www.eurominority.org and fount it interesting. They
mostly talk about Low German (including limburgish, dutch, low saxon)
and not about Low Saxon as a seperate language.
But then again they have this page:
http://www.eurominority.org/version/en/etats2.asp?id_pays=32
where they talk about Low Germans in the Netherlands, hmm...

http://www.eurominority.org/version/cartes/map-native-people-europe.asp
http://www.eurominority.org/version/cartes/map-european-languages-eu.asp
http://www.eurominority.org/version/en/cartes-etats-detail.asp?id_pays=32
(hehe, apparently I live in Neddersassen :))

http://www.eurominority.org/version/en/langues3.asp?id_groupeethnique=1&id_langues=6
10000 speaking Sater Frisian...hmmm
http://www.eurominority.org/version/en/langues3.asp?id_groupeethnique=1&id_langues=4
Ah, Jutish is there as well :)

Just wanted to share

Cheers,
Kenneth

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Thanks, Kenneth!

Nice though this seems and looks, you need to take the information with a
grain of salt.  I feel it could do with a bit more research.

> where they talk about Low Germans in the Netherlands, hmm...

This may not be the happiest choice, but at least they refer to them by the
same name in both countries, while at least in Germany people still act as
though there are two groups with two languages.

Here they talk about the language as "Saxon" under "W. Germanic" and as "Low
German (Low Saxon)" under "North Sea Germanic":
http://www.eurominority.org/version/en/langues3.asp?id_groupeethnique=1&id_langues=5

It's a nice start, though, I think.  Maybe they'll welcome some input.