LL-L "Accents" 2004.01.05 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Feb 5 15:28:41 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.FEB.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: M.Verhagen <M.Verhagen at let.kun.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Accents" 2004.01.04 (05) [E]

Hi Ben,

Tilburg is located in southern part of the Netherlands, in the province of
North-Brabant. The 'speaking map' of the Netherlands, at the Meertens
Institute, contains a recording of a speaker from Goirle, a village right
next to Tilburg. Her dialect is 99% the same as the Tilburg dialect. The
dialect is for instance known for its very extended vowels.

http://www.meertens.knaw.nl/projecten/sprekende_kaart/svg/

You have to install the free Adobe SVG-viewer.

For the right dot of Goirle/Tilburg:
http://www.meertens.knaw.nl/projecten/sprekende_kaart/svg/detail.html?sk_k184p

Michel Verhagen

----------

From: Larry McElhiney <mack at chirk.com>

***
> to her did I realise that she had the same "funny" accent in Dutch.

Hi, Gabriele and List. For someone who has not yet set foot on a foreign
continent, where is Tilburg and where or from whom can I hear a bit of that
funny Tilburg accent?
Ben
***

Hi Folks,

An interesting observation on accents in The Netherlands...

I lived in Maastricht for three years and had a lot of exposure to the
Limburgs Dialect (Mestreechs).  After I'd learned to distinguish Standard
Dutch from the dialect, I observed a gentleman one evening who was speaking
with a different "accent."

After a while, I realized that I was hearing Mestreechs with a "tongue
thrust."  Within a few moments, I was introduced to the man as an American
and he started speaking almost flawless English with me.  It suddenly dawned
on me that this English was spoken without the characteristics of the
"tongue thrust!"

I've thought this over many times in the past 35 years and have no
explantation.  Any thoughts?