LL-L "Resources" 2004.01.11 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 11 20:17:05 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.FEB.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Glenn Simpson <westwylam at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Resources

Dear all,

The British Library has set up an online collection on Northern English
dialects. This can be accessed at: www.collectbritain.co.uk or via BL
website.

It is a fantastic collection, with sound recordings - it's worth browsing.
Check out some of the
Northumbrian ones, they'll give you a real flavour of the language, its
variety north, south east & west etc.

Keep ahaad,

Glenn Simpson
Northumberland

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

A fantastic collection indeed, Glenn!  Thanks so much for the tip!  I could
spend hours listening to the recordings.  This is the sort of resource we
need, lots more for other Lowlands varieties also.  The nice thing about it
is that this medium can be used to sample language as well as convey
information about local and regional culture and the like.  Very nice!
(Make sure you click on "Browse this collection," folks.)

Thanks again, Glenn.  Unless someone can top this, you get today's gold
star.  ;-)

And talking of (or implying) Northumberland, check out the nice exhibition
of Grimm's Northumberland Sketchbooks
(http://www.collectbritain.co.uk/galleries/grimm/)!

Also, check out the exhibition of Geoffrey Chaucer's Kent
(http://www.collectbritain.co.uk/galleries/litlandscapes/doorway.cfm?author=
chaucer)!

Now, all in all, there's an exemplary web presentation by the British
Library.  Bravo!  (I'm copying their web editor on this.)

Talking about downloadable language variety recordings, please note a
collection of talks in the Lowlands Saxon (Low German) dialects of the
Oldenburg and Eastern Friesland areas of Germany:
http://www.bis.uni-oldenburg.de/medien/radio/literaturtelefon/literaturtelefon.html .
The last of them is by Marron C. Fort, an African American who specializes
in Lowlands Saxon and Frisian varieties and speaks faultless Lowlands Saxon,
as far as I can tell.

And there is the splendid presentation I mentioned yesterday: a collection
of video recordings of authors reading their works in Lowlands Saxon
dialects of Drenthe, Netherlands: http://www.taolpaddrenthe.nl/

It looks like we are getting somewhere.  Keep ahaad indeed!