LL-L "Songs" 2004.02.16 (03) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 17 02:08:52 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.FEB.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Liza du Plooy <lizaduplooy at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Songs" 2004.02.16 (01) [A/D/E/L]

Goeiemiddag laaglanders.

Mark wrote:
"I know these lines from the Afrikaans lullaby:
Slaap, Kindjie slaap,
Slaap Kindjie slaap,
Paps is weg in sy groot blou jag
En kom eers t'rug om donker nag,
Slaap, Kindjie slaap,
Slaap, Kindjie slaap (ad dormum).

It tickles me that I heard something very close to that in Pensyllvania
Dutch, sung to the same tune, in an American Soap Opera featuring, among
others, an Amish family.

Hai, dis sommer lekker om so 'n draadjie die web van tale so deur te volg.
Dankie, almal!

Die Uwe,
Mark Dreyer."

I have never before heard that version of the song!
The version my mother sang to me when I was little goes:

Slaap kindjie slaap(x2)
Daar buite loop 'n skaap (x2)
'n Skapie met sy witte wol
Hy eet sy magie lekker vol
Slaap kindjie slaap.

It seems to be pretty close to the Dutch version Ron provided. Only a couple
of changes in the wording, and I suspect that is for the sake of rhyme.

Liza du Plooy