LL-L "Help needed" 2004.02.22 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Feb 22 19:52:19 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.FEB.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: kcaldwell31 at comcast.net <kcaldwell31 at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.02.21 (02) [E]

I think I can help with some of these:

> From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
> Subject: Help needed
>
> I'm looking for the correct English words for refering to quoted texts or
> pictures at the beginning or the end of books.
> For defining what I'm looking for, I'm using below my own terminology for
> making things understandable (I hope), and I appreciate all suggentions
and
> corrections.
>
> 1. The "front cover" (?) (may contain e.g. a reproduction of an old map).

front cover

> 2. Similarely for the "back cover" (?).

back cover

> 3. For clothbound books, the hard cover often only has some characters
> printed on the cloth or leather, but these books are often sold with a
> "jacket"; or "wrapper"(??)

dust jacket or dust cover

> This jacket has 5 parts:

I'm not sure if there are more technical terms for these than what I am
providing below:

> 3a. the "front part of thec jacket"(?)

front of the dust jacket

> 3b. the "back part of the jacket"(?)

back of the dust jacket

> 3c. the "back", "spine" (?) between 3a and 3b (may have heraldic symbols
for
> history books)

spine of the dust jacket

> 3d. the "flap" (?)  folded to the inside in front of the book and

front inside flap of the dust jacket

> 3e. the "flap" (?) folded to the inside at the bach of the book. These
flaps
> contain often a brief biography of the author, eventually wit picture.

back inside flap of the dust jacket

> 4. Double-side pages, glued half to the back of the cover, and forming a
> first (or last) page of the book with the other half.

The entire sheet of paper (half glued, half free) is the end paper,
endpaper, or end leaf.  The half not glued to the inside of the cover is a
fly leaf, usually pasted to the next page along the edge closest to the
binding

> 4a. in front
> 4b. at the back.

I don't think they have different names for the front one and the back one -
maybe just "front end paper" and "back end paper"

> These large pages are often used for reproducing old maps in books about
> local history.
>
> 5. The "pre-title" page, giving the tittle in brief, rarely illustrated, a
> page on the right, preceeding the title page

I don't know

> 6. The "title" page, next page on the right, often illustrated in old
books
> (often also with part of the text in red in old books)

title page

> 7. The page at the left of the title page, in modern books often with
> edition date, ISBN number, Library of Congess number etc.

I don't know (often also lists books by the same author, or such a list may
be alone on the page facing the title page, with the publishing data on the
back of the title page)

> 8. Eventually a picture page between 6 and 7, with the illustration facing
> at the left the titelpage at the right. I would call it the "frontispiece
> page"(?);

frontispiece (actually, any illustration at the front of a book, regardless
of whether it precedes or follows the title page)

> 9. Some books start with an introduction numbered sepately with roman
> numerals, or not numbered at all. When not numbered, how does one refer to
> these pages when quoting?

I don't know

> 10. Expensive books often have a "colofon"(?) page with credentials. This
> page is often at the end.

I am not sure what you mean.  Do you mean the credentials of the author,
translator, editor, introduction/foreword writer, etc.?  Or something like a
statement about the series or publisher, the typeface and paper used, and
the binding?  My dictionary does list "colophon" as "1. an inscription
placed usually at the end of a book, giving facts pertaining to its
publication 2. a publisher's emblem or trademark placed usually on the title
page of a book"  I never knew that!

I have no idea about the rest of these...

Kevin Caldwell