LL-L "Sociolinguistics" 2004.01.24 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 24 16:52:29 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.FEB.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.02.23 (04) [E]

At 04:04 PM 02/23/04 -0800, Jannie Lawn wrote:
>I have been wondering about that.  If I had had children (which I haven't),
>their 'mother tongue' might well have been Dutch, or they might have grown
>up bi-lingually, with both Dutch and English playing an equal role in the
>early years.  However, the 'native language' would definitely have been
>English, as that is the language of the country.  What about being
inventive
>and calling it our 'original language' or 'first language'?

I think you're confusing "native language" with "the language of the
natives".  The word "native", of course, refers to "birth".  My wife, who
teaches ESL, says they usually do use the term "first language", "second
language" and so forth instead of any other terms.  This can be confusing,
of course, when two languages are used in the home.  If your hypothetical
children turned out to be bi-lingual, this would be unusual, since the vast
majority of children of Dutch immigrants to Canada end up being
unilingual.  You'd have much better luck if you were Italian.

Ed Alexander, Canada