LL-L "Language memory" 2004.01.26 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Feb 27 00:50:20 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.FEB.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hugo Zweep <hugo.zweep at valuersillawarra.com.au>
Subject: LL-L "Language memory" 2004.01.26 (05) [E]

Ron
Your comments on not losing language and the flooding back of seemingly
forgotten words and phrases resonate with me.

I spoke predominantly Grunnigers, with Dutch at school level only, until I
was 11 yrs old in 1949 when we migrated to Australia. Then for the next 12
years I spoke Grunnigers at home and English everywhere else with only
occasional Dutch. When I married in the early 1960s I only spoke Grunnigers
to my parents on, say, a weekly basis and Dutch intermittently to their
acquaintances. After my mother's death 10 years ago virtually all spoken use
lapsed.

Lowlands has rebuilt or reminded me of both the language and the life style
of my childhood. But it has also given me information about the extent of
Lowlands Saxon I never possessed. Similarly, reading a Dutch newspaper
on-line for the past year has made me fluent, as I suspect I never was, in
Dutch. In both cases there has been a retrieval of something that was lost
but obviously not forgotten.

Hugo Zweep

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Language memory

[English below]

Moyen, Hugo!

Wilkamen mang dey "praters"!  Dat is my 'n heyl groot pleseyr vun Dy tou
höyren un tou weten, dat wy up dey List buten my noch eyn annern
Neddersassischen Australier hebt (ofschoonst wy up verschillene syden vun
d'n "paal" bouren un tagen sünd un verschillene dialekten bruukt).  Schryv'
maal tou up Grünnigs!  Ik kan dat verstaan, un dey meyrsten annern
Leyglanders sachs ook.

Gröytens,
Reinhard/Ron

G'day, Hugo!

Welcome among the "talkers"!  It's a really great pleasure to hear from you
and to know that on the List there is a Lowlands Saxon Australian besides me
(although we were born and raised on opposite sides of the boundary post and
use different dialects).  Don't hesitate to write in Groningen Lowlands
Saxon!  I can understand it, and so can most other Lowlanders, I expect.

P.S.:
Hugo:

> Lowlands has rebuilt or reminded me of both the language and the
> life style of my childhood. But it has also given me information about
> the extent of Lowlands Saxon I never possessed.

That's the idea, and I am delighted to know that it works in your case for
one.  :)  Thanks for letting us know.

And please say hi to Oz for me ...