LL-L "Administrativia" 2004.01.02 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jan 2 18:02:50 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.JAN.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativia

Dear Lowlanders "new" and "old,"

Since my last administrative message ee have been joined by a number of
folks from a number of countries (listed below).  On a personal note, I was
"tickled" to see that this time there are people from both of my hometowns:
Hamburg (Germany) and Fremantle (Western Australia).  So here's a personal
"Hummel, Hummel!" and "G'day!" to them.

A special welcome to all our new Lowlanders!  I ask them and those who have
been around longer to make sure they understand the rules and guidelines
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=rules).

If you expect to be away from your email account for a while, you are
welcome to write to me at this address and ask to be put on vacation mode.
This means that no Lowlands-L will arrive at your account for the duration.
It would be best if you told me the beginning and end dates of your absence.
Alternatively, please contact me after your return, and I will put your
subscription back into normal mode.

Digest mode is available also.  In this mode, several issues are
periodically sent out bundled, and this cuts down on frequency, not on
volume.

Several subscribers have made use of vacation and digest modes.  I thank
those who prior to their absence in the holiday season had the foresight to
set their accounts to vacation mode or requested that I do so.  Those that
gave me their departure and return dates even got "special" service in that
I noted these dates in my calendar and did the mode switching for them to
suit their schedules, and they needed to do nothing.

There is a continuing problem with alias addresses.  Quite a few of you
automatically route Lowlands-L mail to addresses other than the ones from
which they subscribed.  This causes problems where something goes wrong with
those other addresses, which are unknown to me.  I receive delivery error
messages regarding those addresses but am unable to do anything about it
because wherever the logon name does not provide any clues I can do nothing
about it.  This is a real nuisance, because the error messages keep on
coming ...  For this reason I ask everyone to kindly give me those reroute
addresses to allow me to match them with your subscribed addresses.

Lowlanders, by all means consider posting to the List.  There is no reason
to be timid.  At the very least you can ask questions; that's a great way of
getting your feet wet.  Please do not feel intimidated by what to you may
seem like "expert" gobbledygook sometimes posted here.  You are not expected
to be an "expert," and no one will ridicule you for what you have written.
Should anyone ever try to do so they would have to try to get past me first.

Those who have been around for a while can attest to the fact that we try
very hard to maintain a welcoming, friendly, courteous and mutually
respectful atmosphere, if not even a family-like one with occasional
expressions of mutual affection and friendship, oftentimes in lighthearted
tones.  Lowlands-L has been a launching pad for many an off-list friendship
over the years.  Many of us like to think of Lowlands-L as an all-inclusive
island of peace, if not friendship, as far as membership is concerned.

Yes, we do discuss politics with regard to language, culture and ethnicity.
However, this is not a place for venting about political ideologies.  You
need to bear in mind that this is meant to be a safe place of peaceful
coexistence for people with a great variety of ethnic and national
backgrounds as well as political leanings.  Please bear in mind that among
us there are people from countries that unfortunately are on bad terms, are
even at war with each other.  I for one welcome and respect them all the
same, and I hope that all of you will find it in your hearts to do the same.
I see no one on this list as a representative of what happens to be his or
her country, ethnicity or religion.  As far as I am concerned, each
Lowlander is an individual that shares a certain set of interests with
others on the List and is willing to reach out, and his or her specific
background and experience only serve to enhance the level and value of
exchange.

The same goes for spiritual beliefs or the absence thereof.  Religion may
certainly be mentioned and explained where relevant to the permissible topic
range, but you are asked to refrain from passing judgment and from making
remarks that are likely to be perceived as offensive by followers of certain
religions or denominations.

This coming April will be the end of the ninth year of Lowlands-L.  I thank
you for having been making Lowlands-L what it is, which in most opinions is
a good thing.  As we get ready for our tenth year, I would like to ask that
you think of and suggest ways of celebrating our tenth anniversary in April
2005.  Furthermore, I would like to ask you to consider participating in
some of our special projects.  Perhaps you wish to contribute a version of
our web welcome and/or rules in language varieties that are not already
represented.  Hopefully or "Lowlands Talk" project
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/talk/) will come out of hibernation soon, and you
could consider making writing and/or translation contributions.  (I get a
lot of mail in response to this presentation, including from educators and
high school classes, so this effort is definitely not in vain.)

Thanks to all of you, and best wishes for 2004!

Regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
http://www.lowlands-l.net

***

Places of Residence of New Lowlanders since December 12, 2003:

     Argentina:
        Formosa:
           Formosa [1]
     Australia: