LL-L "Mennonites" 2004.01.06 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jan 6 16:46:34 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.JAN.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: jpkrause <jpkrause at weblink2000.net>
Subject: Mennonites

    Most Mennonites who went to the Vistula Delta, and from thence to the
Ukraine were not ethnic Germans, but were in fact Flemish, Dutch, Frisian,
with a few Swiss here and there.  It's a common misconception that because
we bear German sounding surnames that we are German.  For example, my family
name Krause is about as common in Stuttgart as Smith and Jones is in New
York City.  Apparently, and this is only a guess, that name was attached to
the family sometime during their sojourn in the Ukraine.  In our native
Pluatdietsch the name is Krüse.
    So why the switch from Plautdietsch to German?  If I have my history
correct, there were a number of different ethnic groups which settled in the
Ukraine during the course of the late 18th and early 19th centuries.  Some
were ethnic Germans.  It was czarist policy for the beaureaucrats in charge
of these various colonies to do business in the German language.  Czarina
Catherine the Great was German, by the way which may have had something to
do with the precedent.  Slowly over time, Mennonites began to abandon their
native Plautdietsch and employ German in their church services as German
language Bibles became more and more prevalant, and as ethnic German
evangelists began to preach among the Mennonites during the 19th century.
There were also cultural changes happening in Europe at the time that tended
to discourage the use of Plautdietsch and Low German/Low Saxon generally.
    By the time the Russian Mennonites migrated to the USA, Plautdietsch was
considered too "earthy" to be used in church, and so was spoken only at
home.  Publications of the era were commonly in German, and that was a handy
language to use for communication with other Mennonite groups which were
ethnic German or Swiss.
    Allow me to recommend a good book by Reuben Epp who incidentally is a
correspondent on this list, entitled "The Story of Low German &
Plautdietsch."  It's a very good book and quite informative.  Available from
The Reader's Press  ISBN 0-9638494-0-9 for $12.95 US.
Jim Krause