LL-L "Names" 2004.01.15 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jan 16 01:04:15 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.JAN.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2004.01.15 (01) [A/E/German/Sorbian]

Ron wrote:

> What is also very interesting is that the name Krabat is that of a Sorbian
> (thus West Slavic) fictional character, a 14-year-old boy who ends up
> learning black magic without initially being aware of it.  I assume that
the
> name is linked with what we are talking about here.  The novel/play
_Krabat_
> is a fascinating story really, and it became rather well-known in German
> translation.

You forgot to mention that the author of this book is Otfried Preußler, who
wrote many well-known books for children, including the infamous "Räuber
Hotzenplotz" (who was played in several TV movies by Gerd Fröbe, a.k.a.
"Goldfinger" of James Bond fame). "Krabat", however, is a lot darker than
his other writings and a little too scary for younger children.

Gabriele Kahn