LL-L "Etymology" 2004.01.19 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jan 19 16:49:10 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.JAN.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.01.17 (02) [E]

Ron,

Re: _vane_ v. _*fane_

It is probable that we have _vane_ instead of _*fane_ due to South West
English phonetics, where Eng. /f/ is regularly pronounced [v]. Now and again
this produced unexpected /v/ variants in standard English, e.g., _vixen_ for
a female fox. Lots of Flemish influence around South Wales/Bristol
mercantile area where the effect is most noted, too.

Criostóir.