LL-L "Morphology" 2004.01.26 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jan 26 19:35:53 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.JAN.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: David Barrow <davidab at telefonica.net.pe>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2004.01.26 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L wrote:

>Hi to all
>
>I also have a question concerning an eventual influence of Franks on
French.
>French language has two ways to express the future aspect of a verb :
>a tense we call "futur simple" inherited from Latine : to the verb stem, we
>add the future endings -ai, -as, -a, -ons, -ez, -ont.
>For example the verb "aimer" (to love) will be :
>J'aimerai
>tu aimeras
>il aimera
>nous aimerons
>vous aimerez
>ils aimeront.
>
>But there is another way to express the future aspect in french. We use
>what we call a "verbe auxiliaire". In this case the verb "aller" (to go).
>We use it at the present and behind the verb at the infinitive. We express
>by this way an intentional future :
>je vais aimer
>tu vas aimer
>il va aimer
>nous allons aimer
>vous allez aimer
>ils vont aimer
>
>In west Flemish in France, future tense is expressed by the same way :
>'k gaen kommen (I will come)
>gy gaet kommen (you will come)
>etc...
>
>So the question is, do other latine languages have such a way to express
>future or is French the only to have it. In this case, it might be one more
>feature of Frankish influence on French which makes it the "most germanic
>of the latine languages" as i read it in a book about evolution of the
>French.
>
>Cheers
>Frédéric Baert

Spanish also does it with ir (to go)

(yo) voy a amar
(tu) vas a amar
(usted) va amar
(él/ella) va a amar
(nosotros) vamos a amar
(vosotros) vais a amar
(ustedes) van a amar
(ellos/ellas) van a amar

Spanish was influenced by one of the goth peoples (ostrogoth or
visigoth- can't remember which)
So perhaps it is a germanic thing.

I notice French drops the preposition before the infinitive whereas
Spanish keeps it.
Another sign of the germanic ancestry of this construction?

David Barrow