LL-L "Semantics" 2004.01.26 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jan 26 20:03:30 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.JAN.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Liza du Plooy <lizaduplooy at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Semantics" 2004.01.25 (03) [E]

Goeie middag laaglanders

Ron wrote:
The best example I can come up with right now is _middag_ in Lowlands Saxon
(Low German) and (> ?) in Danish, Norwegian and Swedish (also _Middag_
[middax] in Missingsch and _Mittag_ in other North German dialects).
Literally it means "midday," hence 'noon'. It is also used (assumedly
derived from LS _middageten_ "midday eating/food" = "midday meal") to mean
'lunch' and, in extension, 'dinner'. Thus, _middag_ ("midday") can refer to
any major meal, including a festive dinner, irrespective of the time of day.
To a learner of one of these languages it must at first seem quite curious
to come across a sentence literally translatable as "That evening we met for
#midday# at her house." This must seem all the more peculiar to people in
whose cultures the main meal is eaten in the evening rather than at noon.
***
In Afrikaans we use the word 'middag' to mean any time after noon until it
gets dark. Late afternoon is often called 'laat middag'. Lunch is called
'middag ete' and supper is called 'aand ete'. It would be very confusing for
me if someone refered to 'middag ete' as just 'middag'! Interestingly,
breakfast do not follow this pattern. Instead of 'oggend ete' it is called
'ontbyt'. Is it similar in Dutch?

Liza du Plooy