LL-L "Semantics" 2004.01.27 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jan 27 20:07:48 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JAN.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Semantics"

> From: R. F. Hahn lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
> Subject: Semantics
>
> Vörmiddag ("fore-midday" = "forenoon"): the time between 9 or 10 a.m. and
> noon.

"The forenuin" ['fo:rnIn] in Scots is from about 10am to noon.

This seems to be in contrast with English - in the Somerset village where I
live you'll hear people saying "good morning" from sun up to about 2pm!

> Nacht: 'night' -- which begins when the average person goes to bed, not in
> the evening (_Avend_) as in English ('tonight' etc.).

In Scots the "nicht" [nIxt] starts in the early evening too. I think the
reason for this is that in country areas people used to go to bed at about
eight in the evening so as to be able to get up in time to milk cows &c.
Thus it was pretty much bedtime by the time they were home, washed and
dined. As people started to stay awake later, perhaps the use of
"night/nicht" stayed in place?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>

Thanks, Sandy.  What you said about Scots _nicht_ may well apply to rural
dialects of Lowlands Saxon (Low German) and other as well.  My perception
(attributed semantic value) is that of a city dweller (surrounded by night
owls, also on this list).  It may be different for someone in a rural
community or with more immediate rural roots than mine, who belongs to the
second generation of city dwellers with rural roots.  I have a feeling that
what exactly is "night" differs from community to community or even from
family to family, depending on what they consider normal bedtime.  So,
perhaps we should assume that "night" is semantically fairly vague or
flexible.

One of the major cultural and linguistic distinctions seems to be with
regard to the beginning of a "day."  I guess that all Lowlands varieties
traditionally consider morning (i.e., return of sunlight = dawn, LS _ucht_)
to be the beginning of a day, more recently overlaid by the "scientific"
notion that a day begins with midnight.  Some other cultures and languages,
such as those of the Middle East, traditionally consider evening (i.e.,
sunset) to be the beginning of a day, hence beginnings of holiday
celebrations on what West Europeans and their descendants consider the
previous evening.

Is there any variation in the Lowlands region in this respect?

By the way, dusk -- the time of fading daylight around sunset) is featured a
lot in LS literature.  Its names:
   _schummertyd_ (<Schummertiet> ['SU.m at ti:t])
   _schummerey_ (<Schummeree> [SU.m@'rE.I])
   _schummern_ (<Schummern> ['SU.m at n])
all from the verb _schummern_ 'to dusk', 'to grow dark'

There is also the variant _schuptyd_ (<Schupptiet> ['SUpti:t]), which I
assume to be a derivation  (with stop assimilation) of _schummertyd_.

Furthermore, there is an in my opinion lovely word for the same thing
(reminding me very much of Old Norse "poetic nicknames"):

_ulenvlugd_ (<Ulenflucht> ['?u:lnflUxt]), literally "owls' flight"