LL-L "Etymology" 2004.01.27 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jan 28 00:51:38 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JAN.2004 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at holger-weigelt.de>
Subject: "Etymology"

> From: Lisa Mays <frau_mays at yahoo.com>
> Subject: etymology
>
> Dear Lowland Language Enthusiasts,
>
> I am a University of Kansas PhD. candidate working on
> a dissertation concerning Old Colonists in Kansas.  In
> my attempts to learn Plautdietsch, I've come across
> the word "Unkars," meaning a light evening meal...
>
> Since you have recently discussed some of the lexical
> meanings and etymology of words like "Meddag," which
> in several Germanic languages could be used to
> describe the time of day as well as a meal, I was
> wondering if I could get some input as to the possible
> origin of the word "Unkars"?
>
> Vielmols Dankscheen
> Lisa Mays

Hello Lisa !
I really know very little about Plautdietsch but when I read Your posting
mentioning "Unkars" as a term for a meal it reminded me of our Eastern
Friesland Low Saxon word "umkârw" meaning a slice of bread with butter
(derived from "kârw" = slice [of bread]). I cannot believe that there is any
connection but who knows ?
Kind greetings
Holger

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>

This is really interesting, Holger.

I can't think of a direct cognate in other Lowlands Saxon (Low German)
varieties.  Given this and given that (1) Eastern Friesland varieties (as
well as Groningen and Achterhoek varieties) have strong Frisian substrates
and that (2) many Mennonites' ancestors were from Frisian-speaking areas and
from areas that used to be Frisian-speaking, I wonder if this Plautdietsch
word _Unkars_ is indeed related to your _umkarv_ (<umkârw>) and can be
traced back to Westerlauwer and/or East Frisian.

I further wonder if your _karv_ (<kârw>) 'slice/piece/chunk (of bread)' is
related to English "to carve," Scots _tae cairve_ 'to carve', Dutch _kerven_
'to (carve a) notch', _kerf_ 'notch', 'nick', other LS _karven_ 'to (carve
a) notch', _karv'_ 'notch', 'nick',  German _kerben_ 'to (carve a) notch',
_Kerbe_ 'notch', 'nick'.  This would be related to Old Frisian _kerva_ 'to
carve'.

But what could be the etymology of _un..._ and _um..._?  Probably not _üm_
'(a)round', etc.  Might it be a contraction of an older Frisian version of
what in Westerlauwer Frisian is _jûn_ 'evening' (< Old Frisian _âvond_ ~
_êwnd_).

I can very well imagine _Unkars_ to be the plural form of *_Unkar_ <
*_Unkarw_ being traceable to Frisian *_êwndkerv_ via LS *_undkarv_, thus
literally "evening piece (of bread)."  (_er_ > _ar_ is a LS shift.)

(Remember that * marks hypothetical forms.)

Note also the word for 'supper' in other Lowlands Saxon (Low German)
dialects: _avendbrood_ (<Avendbroot> ['?Q:vm(t)bro:t]), literally "evening
bread."

(It is _avendköst_ in other dialects, _köst_ being "fare" or "meal".)

Anyway, what do you folks think about my (wild?) theory?