LL-L "Help needed" 2004.01.29 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jan 29 21:05:57 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.JAN.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Heiko Evermann <Heiko.Evermann at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Help needed" 2004.01.29 (02) [E]

Dear Pat, dear Ron,

>Dear All,
>
>Some while ago, you helped me with an inscription in Low German: This is
>what Ron made of it:
>
>  ...   SE(GEN?) ...
>OHN ALLE SORG (VA... = VALT?)
>(G)LEICH IN DEINEM ...
>TREVW VND FLEIS(S?) ...
>(VN)D DVEST WAS DIR BEFOHL(EN)
>    1601 (1691?)

I doubt that the text is written in Low German.
1) "Gleich" is spelled with ch, Low German would be "gliek"
2) "dein" has diphtong, Low German would be "dien" (long i)
3) "Fleiss" is spelled with "ss", Low German would be "-t" and "i"
instead of "ei"
4) "was" is spelled with "s", Low German would be "t".
In all these cases the text shows clear signs of High(Upper) German.

Kind Regards,

Heiko Evermann

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Help needed

Thanks for clarifying this point, Heiko.  In my response this was considered
a given, for I had assumed that Pat was aware of this also.  However, I may
have jumped to a conclusion there.

Indeed, there should be no doubt at all that the language of the
inscriptions is German -- and I mean real German, not "Low 'German'" (=
Modern Saxon).  This would have to be expected from folks from Solingen,
since they had long used an early, almost standardized written form of
German, whereas this was fairly new in the north where Lowlands Saxon had
been the power language and in some quarters still was.

If the inscription had been LS, I would have expected something like this
the language of the day (i.e., of the late 17th century):

> 'Des Herren segen
> machet Reich ohn alle Sorg wan du zughleich in deinem stand Treuw und
> Flesig Bist und duest was Du Befohlen ist'

"Des He(r)ren segen maket ryk sunder (~ sünder) alle sorg wen du tog(e)lyk
in dynem stand truw und(e) (~ end(e)) vlytig bist und(e) (~ end(e)) do(e)st
wat dy bevalen is(t)."

"The Lord's blessing maketh rich without care, be it that for thine part
thou art loyal and diligent IN THINE STATION and dost what hath been
commanded thee."

(I had fogotten to translate that one part.)

> 'Deutschland ist unsuer Vatterland Soligen ist die Stadt Gehasset
> Der Herr behüte deinen Ausgang und Eingang')."

"Dud(e)schland (~ Dü(y)d(e)schland) is(t) unser Vaderland. Solingen is(t)
dey stad geheyten (~ genaamd). De(y) He(r)r bescherme dyn(en) utgang und(e)
(~ end(e)) ingang."

"Germany is our native land. Solingen is what the city is named. May the
Lord watch over your exit and entry."