LL-L "Language use" 2004.07.01 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 1 16:06:49 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.JUL.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: denis dujardin <dujardin at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2004.06.30 (05) [E]

I am sorry about Jean Duvivier. But he doesn't at all get the point
where this is all about in Belgium.
If you live in an area where you know people have been speaking a
certain language for ages.
The suddenly a generally more wealthy class comes to live in the rural
settings of your village and they do not want to adapt to the local
language, because they take it for granted that their language has to be
understood everywhere (which means the clear depreciation of the local
language), then I consider this as a pretentious invasion of people who
want to impose THEIR social attitude to the people where they immigrate,
refusing to learn the other language as a form of the so called courtoisie.
In Belgium it has allways been the other way up. We as Flemish are
generally bi-lingual. The Walloon or Brussels French spoken people (the
latter is changing) considered dutch as an ugly useless language, so why
would they learn it? (Allthough it is spoken by 22 million people in
Europe: is that a small language?????)
This has nothing to do with a difference of dialects as Jean Duvivier
quotes. It has nothing to do with helpfullness towards tourists. This
mentality of everything changing into English should at first be
explained to those who refuse to speak or learn another language
whatsoever. In the outskirts of Brussels you find countless people of them.

denis dujardin
vlaanderen

----------

From: jean duvivier <duvassoc at comcast.net>

Hi Ron,

I am afraid I did not express myself properly. Recognizing the legitimacy of
people of different regions wanting to retain their local language or
dialect, my point was that this should not be a first language for children
to learn, otherwise they will be left out of major activities in the world
we live in. As a second language if they so desire, why not.
However, I have detected an excessive emphasis placed on the local language
being the most important. This is partly a political issue, and all too
often , a manufactured one, to the detriment of the people themselves,
One can have two or more languages in use. For instance Switzerland. They
even have a fourth, Romanche, in a small valley. But all the Swiss I have
ever met spoke usually French and/or German but dealt with foreigners in
English.
We can remember the various attempts in the past 200 years to artificially
construct an international language, for instance Esperanto. But this was
artificial and did not become widely accepted.
I have no particular love for English of any kind, although I learned it and
know it well. But in the increasingly interactive and interconnected world
we live in, a single language that can be used widely is a benefit to
society. English  is happening anyway from necessity and ease of use,
whether one likes it or not.
My point about the local languages was not to disparage them but to keep a
sense of balance and not get carried away.
Thank you for your comments.

Dank U wel. Vielen Dank. Merci beaucoup. Muchas gracias. Muito obrigado.
Mille grazie. Ephaisto. Shukran. Domo arigato.

John