LL-L "Language use" 2004.07.02 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jul 2 14:59:58 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.JUL.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: denis dujardin <dujardin at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2004.07.02 (01) [E]

Let me put things clear. I am not a extreme language activist.
As I pointed out, I AM interested in learning other languages. I speak
and write French in an upmost degree. And I LOVE to speak it also.
I can not understand that some Flemish people tolerate, the lazyness (or
highharted mentality) of french-spoken people into the Flemish speaking
area.
I am sorry Luc, but your argument works against you.
I underlined that I speak 7 languages. French speaking people in Belgium
tend to speak only ONE, whereas most flemish ar bi-lingual.
So why the remark, that people moving abroad wouldn't be able to cope
with a local language, whereas the Brussels residents do not even know
or refuse to learn a language which surrounds them.
This has nothing to do with extremism, but with courtoisie or respect.
I remain convinced by the fact that people living in a city where the
outskirts speak another language ( -they are surrounded-), that the
least you can do, is to learn that language.
The other way up in towns like Mouscron shows how that works. How people
even get discriminated by asking their simple language rights.
Our Kings, Queens and princesses do not even speak the language of the
majority properly, whereas princess Maxima, being Argentinian,  in
Holland was able to do it in a short while.
So!??

denis dujardin