LL-L "Language use" 2004.07.02 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jul 2 22:27:41 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.JUL.2004 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2004.07.02 (06) [E]

R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Don't these parents know that letting a child grow up with a second
language
> (at least) means the gift of a whole new universe? Also, I find it very
rude
> to bring up a child who is unable to speak to its own grandparents - that
> must be a heartbreaking experience for both sides! Good thing that little
> girl semms to have more sense than both her parents.

I cannot agree more. I'm planning on moving to Germany (as soon as
possible), and I only thought about sending my kids (yes, I have 2 now)
to a Dutch school for no longer than 2 seconds. Both are under the age
of 6 (one's 5.5 years old, the other's only 3 months old), so I'll send
them to a German school, they'll pick up the language fairly quickly
without much problem. Furthermore, I will teach the youngest Saxon (I'm
not the real father of the 1st, so whether she picks it up or not is her
choice), so she can talk to her family (who all speak Saxon, all the
time). How sad it would be if she could only speak Dutch and/or German.
My girlfriend only speaks Dutch, and she has trouble following
conversations between family members. Seeing that I'm moving to the area
of lower Niedersachsen or upper Westfalen, probably a small village in
the Grafschaft Bentheim, Niedersachen, they'll get into contact with at
least 2 varieties of Saxon. The eldest likes languages (she's very
bright and she's learning English), so I think both will pick it up, so
both will speak Saxon, Dutch, German, and most probably English. I think
these kids will have several advantages over others.

> Frankly, I wonder how much of this common attitude is a "power" issue -
the
> parents have a convenient way to speak to each other in front of the
> children without being understood (or so they hope)

Children pick up languages *very* easily. Sometimes I and my girlfriend
speak English to eachother, when we don't want the eldest to know about
something, but it won't be long before she'll start understanding us in
English, so that won't fly.

regards,
Henry