LL-L "Language use" 2004.07.02 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jul 3 00:21:56 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.JUL.2004 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Language use

Beste Troy,

First of all I'd like to congratulate you for having decided to learn
Dutch as soon as possible. I truly wish that more people would be just
as interested in (Lowlands) languages, as you (and most other members
here) are.

>> Flemish language activists demand extreme respect for their language
>> (for example, they would like to enforce anybody moving to Flanders
>> speak Flemish within a certain amount of time)...however...if they
>> themselves are moving to Lapland, Albania, Kamchatka or Madagascar
for
>> that matter, very few of them will master the local language within
that
>> same short amount of time.

>I have to disagree. People with a "minority" native language moving to
>another area with a language they don't know tend to learn at least a
basic
>level as quickly as possible because they have to.

That's true if you're talking about people that are only able to speak
one language (their own "minority" native language). But this is almost
never the case with Flemish people because the bulk of them speaks
French and English (and often some German) as well. So in Madagascar for
example, most of them will not learn Malagasy, they will just revert to
French. This does not apply to myself (and many other members on this
board I guess), but then again, we're all language aficionados, aren't
we?

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx