LL-L "Language use" 2004.07.03 (02) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jul 3 17:38:21 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.JUL.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2004.07.02 (04) [E]

In message <008b01c46065$19e4e090$1c0d5f80 at dental.washington.edu>,
Lowlands-L <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net> writes
>On a related note, Brussel is officially bilingual. However, it has been my
>experience that even officials of the federal government refused to speak
>Dutch (and they certainly must have known it to be hired). In my particular
>case, I had to have some paper work stamped by the Ministry of the Interior
>before I was allowed to marry in Belgium. The clerk who was "assisting" me
>and my fiancée (who is Flemish) would not speak Dutch *at all*. Now if I
had
>been by myself I really would have been stuck since I don't know French.

I have had just this kind of experience in Brussels.  My spoken and
listening Dutch is awful, but my reading Dutch is quite good now.  My
French I learned in school, and have found adequate for making small
talk with colleagues from Francophone Africa, and central and eastern
Europe, but not used for research... I have no idea what the vocabulary
is for 'issue desk', 'restricted borrowing rights' or 'please ask a
librarian before photocopying this book'.  The librarians were all,
baffled by having to deal with someone who really did need to have it
said to them in Dutch!  But they coped, and invariably, with politeness.
I think they put it down to English eccentricity.

A fair number of Dutch people must visit Brussels - what do they do?  Do
most Dutch people speak French, or do both French Belgian and
Netherlander switch to English as an acceptable compromise?  I have
found it very useful in France to switch to Italian rather than English.

Best wishes to you all,

Pat
(who found typing her password into a French keyboard very hard)
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)