LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.07.06 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jul 6 14:34:55 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.JUL.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.07.04 (04) [E]

  From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
  Subject: Lexicon

  Dear Lowlanders,

  Here's another question about lexical inventory in Lowlands languages.

  I am more concerned about actual, native, original, normal usage than
about
  availability of lesser-used expressions and neologisms.

  I have noticed that (again, in ordinary speech) both Lowlands Saxon (Low
  German) and Scots tend to use the same word for "hill" and "mountain":

  Lowlands Saxon: _barg_ <Barg> [ba:x]
  Scots: _hill_ ~ _hull_

  German and English, on the other hand, clearly distinguish between _Hügel_
  and _Berg_ and between "hill" and "mountain" respectively.

  Yiddish may represent an intermediate type, using _barg_ ???? (in some
  dialects _berg_ ????) for 'mountain' and its diminutive form _bergl_ ?????
  for 'hill'.

  Now, in Lowlands Saxon you can use _bült_ <Bült> [bY.lt] or _knül_ <Knüll>
  [knY.l] for 'hill', but I feel that these rather denote very small hills,
  "glorified bumps," "knolls" in fact. The normal word for both "hill" and
  "mountain" is _barg_.

  Similarly, you have available the Romance-derived word _muntain_ for
  'mountain' in Scots, besides Celtic-derived _ben_ for very tall peaks of
the
  Scottish highlands. But from my reading I take it that in normal Scots
  _hill_ ~ _hull_ applies to 'mountain' as well.

  Note also that in English "hill" is of native origin while "mountain" is a
  Romance loan.

  I believe that the numerous Frisian varieties of the Netherlands and
Germany
  have similar lack of distinction.

  I keep wondering if this apparent (original?) lack of distinction is
because
  in the Lowlands you don't get anything that is taller than what we call a
  "hill." Real "mountains" are outside the original language region.
  Newcomers to Hamburg, Germany, find it rather strange to find a range of
  hills south of the southern branch of River Elbe referred to as _Harborger
  Bargen_ (LS) and _Harburger Berge_ (G). To people of the area they seem
  like mountains (at least in the olden days), and they even try to ski on
  them if there is snow in the winter. The closest real mountains are the
  Harz Mountains, that lie on the southern edge of the language area.

  I wonder if there are similar situations in other Lowlands language
  varieties, especially in the varieties of the Netherlands, Belgium and
  Northern France. I am less interested in reference to "real" ("exotic")
  mountains outside that area. I also wonder if those varieties "act"
  differently from Afrikaans, given that Afrikaans-speaking areas (i.e.,
  Southern Africa) do indeed have both hills (_heuwels_, _bulte_, _koppies_,
  _rantjies_) and mountains (_berge_, _koppe_), besides knolls (_bulties_,
  _heuwelties_).

  Thanks for thinking about it!

Hi Ron,
In Dutchwe have: berg, heuvel, bult, top
In Flemish we have: berg, heuvle, hille, hil, bulte, hoôgte, top, hoôp,
molshoôp.
Something that is higher than its surroundings is called a "hul" (V: een hul
tubak stikt uut de pupe/een hul boôm'/ een hul bloem' / een hul ges (=D:
gras)...)
"Knol" is only used for round roots of plants.
Everything that is higher than a 100 metres is called a "berg" in our
lowland.

groetjes
luc vanbrabant
oekene