LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.07 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 7 16:00:54 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.JUL.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: David Barrow <davidab at telefonica.net.pe>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.06 (07) [E]

I've found in 'The Dream of the Rood'
'þæt wæs géara iú   - ic þæt gýta geman
þæt wæs áhéawan  holtes on ende'

where 'on ende' is glossed as 'from the edge' .

Since 'on end'  means 'consecutively' I think 'many years on end' in the
sense of one year from the edge of the previous year  could quite easily
evolved to mean 'many consecutive years'

David Barrow