LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.01 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 8 14:51:24 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.JUL.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Gavin Falconer <Gavin.Falconer at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.07 (06) [E]

Mark said:

"I believe you are wrong, & that it is fundamental to your old language. It,
or the cognate 'waan' is still a necessary tool in Afrikaans."

It depends how old the language is.  It would be conceivable for a person to
have a fairly good knowledge of modern Scots without ever having encountered
wan-, except perhaps in wanchancie (I hope I don't offend anyone with my low
standards).  I always assumed that most wan- words started out as nouns from
which adjectives were sometimes derived whereas the un- words were mainly
negations of adjectives.  Perhaps I'm being influenced by my knowledge of
German here, in which case A'll awa dree ma wanweird.  Ill- or mis- would be
much more indispensible elements in Scots.

According to the DSL at http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/, wan- ceased to be
productive in word formation except in Scots and Northern English after the
Middle English period, and I suspect that Scots simply followed suit after a
delay, with it falling together with un- in many cases.

The number of Afrikaans and German words using the element could be to do
with their lack of direct Latinate loans (as opposed to calques) and
creation of abstract concepts using native elements, which brings me back to
my original point.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if someone such as
Hately Waddell had coined a few words with wan-, but if one represents Scots
as the hybrid Latinised Germanic language that it is rather than reforms it
so that it's a purely Germanic one, there's no need for the like.

--
All the best,

Gavin

Gavin Falconer

"Tharfor wordly happe es ay in dout
Whilles dam fortune turnes hir whele about."