LL-L "Literature" 2004.07.13 (01) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jul 13 15:52:23 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.JUL.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Literature

Folks,

I am here to help one of our new subscribers who lives in Mühlheim on the
Ruhr, a Low-Franconian-speaking area of Germany close to the borders with
Netherlands and Belgian Limburg.  Although he follows our discussions with
interest, he is not sufficiently confident to participate in English.
Please find a copy of his German message below.

[At this point I ought to interject, emphasizing once again that it is not
necessary, certainly not required, to write in English on this list.  You
are welcome to write in any language you wish, not only Lowlands languages
either (in this case either in German or in Mühlheim dialect), although it
is true that English reaches more people.]

Anyway, here is the thing.  The oldest known Mühlheim Low Franconian piece
of literature is a Martinmas song sung while going from door to door
"begging" for treats (in the style of Halloween trick-o-treating), a song
that has relatives in an area from Dunkerque (Flemish) to Pomorania
(Lowlands Saxon/Low German).  Our new Lowlander invites everyone to share
related versions from other regions.  (I ought to add our Belgian friends,
and indeed anyone to this list.)

We have mentioned this Martinmas song before.  You can search for it in our
archives (http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html) under
"Search the Archives."  (Just input "Martinmas" in the search box and make
sure you check the box for "Substring Search.")

Below please find a copy of the Mühlheim version of the song, first in
German-based spelling and then in my transliteration into what is roughly
Limburgish spelling as used in the Netherlands and Belgium.  By the way, the
indented verse is in ("High") German.

Laaglanders, voornamelijk u mensen in of van Nederland en België, laat ons
onse nieuwe vriend verwelkomen en hem helpen om onse gemeenschappelijke
erfgoederen te ontdekken!  Bij voorbaat bedankt.

Furthermore, our new member wishes to know what the pronunciation of "g" is
in Limburgish, whether or not it is like in German _ach_, which is the case
in the dialect of Mühlheim.

I take it that _Äässe_ (my _Èse_) refers to the nearby German city of Essen.

The Mühlheim webpage (currently down) is here:
http://www.muelheim-ruhr.de/

***