LL-L "Idiomatica" 2004.07.21 (06) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 21 23:05:39 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 21.JUL.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2004.07.21 (03) [A/E]

Beste John en Ron,

Subject: Idiomatica

> In Northern Germany this _ja-nee_ (literally "yes-no") is also very
popular,
> though it's popularity seems to be dwindling with the acceleration of
> Germanization

> I am pretty sure that this _ja-nee_ originated from Lowlands Saxon (Low
> German), the earlier language of the land.
> I wonder if this is a general Continental Lowlands expression, if it is a
> Saxonism in Afrikaans, or if it sprang up independently in the two
> languages.  I suppose what we need to find out is if our friends in the
> Netherlands and Belgium are familiar with it too.  Might our British
friends
> know of a thing like this in English and/or Scots (*_aye-na_?) dialects
> even?

Ja-nee; ek reken saam met Reinhard is die gebruik deur VOC werknemers uit
Neder- Sakse in die Taal oorgedra. Aldus Jan Alleman in sy 'Diary' is daar
genoeg van hulle gewerf. Van Riebeek in sy dagboek het hulle werkvermoë hoog
op prys gestel. Ennnn, te wyte aan hulle 'powere Hollands' is hulle , so te
sê, op die Kaap-Stasie agtergelaat. Foei tog!
As the English-speaking South-African would say:
Ja-well-no-fine! I reckon with Reinhard that the usage was carried over into
the Taal by Low-Saxon employees of the Dutch East-India Company. According
to Jan Alleman in his Diary there were enough of them recruited. Van Riebeek
in his diary set high value on their industry. Annnnnd, owing to their 'poor
Hollands' they were, so to say, marooned on the Cape-Station. Shame!

Groete,
Mark

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>

Liewe Mark,

Dit mag reg wees, en ek glo ook, dat die Nedersassiese bydraë in Suid-Afrika
meer aandag nodig het.  Maar ons moet versigtig wees, moet eerst vir
antwoorde van Nederland, België en Frans-Vlaanderen wag.  Maar ek hou baie
van jou geesdrif, Mark!

You may be on the right track, and I too believe that Lowlands Saxon (Low
German) contributions in South Africa require more attention.  But we ought
to be careful, ought to first wait for responses from the Netherlands,
Belgium and French Flanders.  But  I do enjoy your enthusiasm, Mark!

Groete/Regards,